The AF Store | The Maximillian Frei Memorial Library | Post Cycle Therapy

Thread: IIFYM for competition prep?

Gold Member

Default IIFYM for competition prep?

I'm currently experimenting with IIFYM for getting stage lab and was wondering if anyone else here has tried it.

Not a smart move. Not even a little but

Gold Member Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by HULK1550 View Post
    Not a smart move. Not even a little but
    I knew a guy who did it and took the overall in physique at state last year. I guess I should've lead with that and asked if anybody had experience with it.

It can depend on what macros you are targeting, but in general I think that there are better options.

The challenge with IIFYM is that in many cases you have individuals eating high carb/high fat meals and then the insulin spike from the carbohydrates causes the fat to be stored. If you are eating talapia or drinking shakes all day and then eat pop tarts or chicken nuggets at night to fill out the macros then your putting yourself in a tough position compared to those who are following low carb diets or using low fat /complex carb protocols.

Gold Member Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
    It can depend on what macros you are targeting, but in general I think that there are better options.

The challenge with IIFYM is that in many cases you have individuals eating high carb/high fat meals and then the insulin spike from the carbohydrates causes the fat to be stored. If you are eating talapia or drinking shakes all day and then eat pop tarts or chicken nuggets at night to fill out the macros then your putting yourself in a tough position compared to those who are following low carb diets or using low fat /complex carb protocols.
    Hmm. Very interesting. Maybe a middle ground then. In fact, I think that's what my friend was following. He used IIFYM but only pulled from a select list of foods which were a little more "bro" in nature. He wasn't eating pop tarts or honey buns. He just didn't want to have chicken breast and brown rice all day long. So, if he felt like having ground turkey breast and a sweet potato for a given meal instead, he could.

Quote Originally Posted by Swole2112 View Post
    Hmm. Very interesting. Maybe a middle ground then. In fact, I think that's what my friend was following. He used IIFYM but only pulled from a select list of foods which were a little more "bro" in nature. He wasn't eating pop tarts or honey buns. He just didn't want to have chicken breast and brown rice all day long. So, if he felt like having ground turkey breast and a sweet potato for a given meal instead, he could.
    That is one of the challenges with IIFYM - there is a good amount of variation in how it is applied.

How your friend was leveraging the protocol makes sense, and I would agree that variation is a good thing. If you wanted to do steak and broccoli as one meal and chicken and rice for the next then that should not have any negative impact on your physique. Sticking with high quality whole foods and practice nutrient timing is the best approach in my opinion.