The AF Store | The Maximillian Frei Memorial Library | Post Cycle Therapy

Thread: My Sloppy Snatch

Cool My Sloppy Snatch

What's up, everyone...! Had to take some time to graduate cum laude with a BA in arts and sciences and all that. Moving on to grad school to slave away for an MFA in a year or so. Been lifting with all the crazy intensity as usual though, and finally taught myself to snatch.

YouTube - Snatch again... form work.

This is actually a pre-BiggT internet coaching video, so I've widened my grip and tightened my stance, and the pull is much more fluid now. My current snatch is actually nowhere near as sloppy as it was a month ago, seeing as I worked on it consistently and unrelentingly for WEEKS STRAIGHT. I'll record a new one eventually, but I figured I'd post this for now.

Also, I'm kinda scrawny.

Also x2 - my gym had a camera crew in a while ago to record a commercial and I happened to be lifting. I work at my gym, so I kind of have a reputation. They filmed me doing a c&j, and put the jerk part into the commercial! It'll air here during the Olympics, which is probably about as close as I'll get to actually being in the Olympics, haha.

Here's the commercial! I'm the last frame at 0:22:

YouTube - Impact Health & Fitness Commercial
    Last edited by Scarlett; 02-23-2010 at 12:18 PM.

That's really cool!!

Doesnt look sloppy at all. Nice job!

You had me at hello Ms Scarlett! Oh..what was running through my mind when I clicked on the link!!!

It's good to see you back and congrats on school. Now..get back at it!
    (status available upon request)

Bar travel looks good; you drop down into the squat with good timing. Not a bad looking snatch for self taught. Are you hoping to spend some time with an Oly coach when school is done?

I'm still trying to figure out the scrawny part though. All I see is a strong woman working on a dynamic lift that a lot of men don't even know how to do. Keep at it girl. Oly is the way to go.
    Snatch, clean, squat, press, repeat...

I think any snatch where you don't fall over or get hurt is good. I can't snatch that. I need to get some rubber bumper plates for the house and practice.

You might like this video- the snatch complex.
    Mountain Athlete

One more donut, one more soda, one more cookie - Team Big Jim

where's my friggin saddle Hidngod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirty~d~ View Post
    Bar travel looks good; you drop down into the squat with good timing. Not a bad looking snatch for self taught. Are you hoping to spend some time with an Oly coach when school is done?

I'm still trying to figure out the scrawny part though. All I see is a strong woman working on a dynamic lift that a lot of men don't even know how to do. Keep at it girl. Oly is the way to go.

Nice to see you here Scarlett. Congratts on the degree, and good luck on the Masters.

The lift looked perfect to me, but then I'm in that category I noted up there. ^^^^.
    I e-know someone on TV. That's good for bragging rights, isn't it?
    My current log
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheffie
    Meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, very little starch, no sugar. Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac
    It's a sobering reminder that you are one day gonna die so you might as well be living well. I reminded myself to love deeply, smile and laugh often and to push some motherfukkin' weights. Sure as hell can't do this stuff when you are dead and sure as hell, ain't nobody gonna do it for you when your are alive.

Former MOTM

Sweet! Good job. I can't even do those. Lol

AF Member

nice snatch lol

but seriously yer form looks really good, I might add these into my routine one of these days lol.

I wasn't bad at all IMO.

Nice to see you around Scar.
    Of course, I use illegal steroids. How the fuck do you expect me to stay in shape?

- Vinny the Chin

Hey chica, when you get a chance, post up that video of your corrected form. It'll be interesting to see the difference in how tight you are now vs. in this video. Proper hand placement on the snatch makes a huge difference.

little nobody Thread Starter Thread Starter Scarlett's Avatar

Thanks everyone! I definitely appreciate the encouragement... I'm not training Oly lifts in an Oly-friendly gym here. I work at the gym, and I bought those plates myself, so I can get away with it. There aren't even any athletic clubs down here where I could learn and/or prep for a meet. I taught myself both the c&j and snatch by feel and by sight (with some awesome online coaching from smart weightlifting pro-bros. )

Quote Originally Posted by BigJimCalhoun View Post
    I think any snatch where you don't fall over or get hurt is good. I can't snatch that. I need to get some rubber bumper plates for the house and practice.

You might like this video- the snatch complex.
    Mountain Athlete
    Hahahaha, you made me lol.

And holy shit. Is it completely masochistic of me that I want to try the snatch complex now?

Quote Originally Posted by Hidngod View Post

Nice to see you here Scarlett. Congratts on the degree, and good luck on the Masters.

The lift looked perfect to me, but then I'm in that category I noted up there. ^^^^.
    I e-know someone on TV. That's good for bragging rights, isn't it?
    Thannnnks, HG. I hope you're doing well, and I'll be sure to send you an autograph when I'm famous.

Quote Originally Posted by A L View Post
    I wasn't bad at all IMO.

Nice to see you around Scar.
    MISSED YOU TOO, AL.

Hey chica, when you get a chance, post up that video of your corrected form. It'll be interesting to see the difference in how tight you are now vs. in this video. Proper hand placement on the snatch makes a huge difference.
    Thanks so much! I definitely will. I'll try and have someone record it this Saturday actually (if I remember - I have an atrocious memory these days) so you can see. Widening the grip has automatically corrected whatever speed and balance issues I've run into.

AND DAMN IT, I WANT TO BE COACHED SO BADLY. There just aren't any clubs here. Most certainly whatever larger city I move to for grad school will have one. *sigh*

Awesome commercial... brings back memories to the commercial I was in eons ago. *giggle*

I have no clue about Oly lifting so I can't comment on that, but it is nice to see your name pop up here. Congrats on the BA and good luck with the MFA. Where are you looking to go to grad school?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    AND DAMN IT, I WANT TO BE COACHED SO BADLY. There just aren't any clubs here. Most certainly whatever larger city I move to for grad school will have one. *sigh*
    Do you have any colleges in the area with intercollegiate sports programs? See if they have a strength coach who's knowledgeable in Oly lifts to give you some pointers. You definitely have the right discipline to do well in Oly comp. I'm not buying the "I'm not strong enough" excuse. You ARE strong enough where it matters. Your muscles will get stronger with training. You've progressed very well on your own; don't short change yourself.

I've not looked at the vid yet but I have no doubt that your snatch is magnificent.

Congrats on the academic achievements and honours. Good luck with the following phases of your education.

Your a little powerhouse! Nice work. Great title too!
    To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence. -Sun Tzu

killa snatchy snatch girl... I'd kill to do that..

Nice snatch, you mentioned grip has been fixed, cool! All in all a really solid lift. A couple of minutia type changes might help, regarding a little work of the violence at the top edge of the double knee bend. You want some more pop at point of contact. Positioning looks good, but for your jumping stance is a little on the wide side, but just a little.
    Even at the bottom of your landing stance it looks like you might have just the slightest amount of your knees diving in, not sure if thats from your heels being a little wide or not, kinda hard to tell on the viddy, does that inward tracking happen to you on your OHSquats or Snatch Balances?

Look, all that is little stuff easy to fix. Take your time on bottom end, even hang out at the bottom and take some inventory and push it out like an OHsquat a few times... and don't holler at me, I know you want to bounce it out, but just try it to get a few seconds of meditation down there. ;-)
    'The name is Smoove. Cheffy Smoove....', he said as he confidently strode, groin first, into the weight rack.

"Choose the Wrench"

CrossFit: Unfuckwithable

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
    Hillel