The AF Store | The Maximillian Frei Memorial Library | Post Cycle Therapy

Thread: Lifting Belt Recommendation

Former MOTM

Default Lifting Belt Recommendation

Until now I have never worn a belt because I never felt the need for additional support. However, now that I regularly do deadlifts with 600+ lbs I think it's time to start worrying about my back and I want something that provides extra support. I bought a belt a few years ago but I never used it because it was so stiff and bulky that it never felt right and it was too hard to put on and take off (I think it was a 4" double prong and it felt like the only way to get a snug fit was to pull it so tight that I literally couldn't breathe anymore). So if there is a trade off between maximum support and comfort, I would rather have a more comfortable belt that does not require a lot of effort to break it in and isn't too wide in the front. What those things in mind, which belt would you recommend?

JoeD

inzer makes a good belt and i personally use EliteFTS - Powerlifting and Strength Training Products and Knowledge for Lifters, Athletes, Coaches, and Trainers for belts. They are in the 50-80 dollar range but you get what you pay for!! I always buy single prong belts because double and triple prongs can be a pain in the ass.

They will need to be broken in somewhat, but what I do I just loop the belt all the way through and leave it like that for a day or two and it'll be broken in.

edit: elitefts has a 25% sale going on with their belts right now
    Last edited by JoeD; 06-24-2008 at 06:42 PM.

I asked this question awhile back before the board crash and after a pretty lengthy discussion I ended up going with the following recommendation:

Inzer Advance DesignsDetailed Information

I purchased the single prong in black. Relatively easy on, easy off... didn't need much of a break in.. sturdy as all hell, low all around, supportive. Really like it.

Before you invest in a new one...

Sit back in your easy chair with a couple of ice packs, a cold drink, and a good movie, and spend an hour or so just working the belt back and forth. They all start out pretty stiff, but it doesn't take long to break one in, and it's really worth the effort.

any 10mm single prong belt is what you want..APT make a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly McD. View Post
    Before you invest in a new one...

Sit back in your easy chair with a couple of ice packs, a cold drink, and a good movie, and spend an hour or so just working the belt back and forth. They all start out pretty stiff, but it doesn't take long to break one in, and it's really worth the effort.

I've had mine for about a year and it still isn't perfectly broken in. It takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron God
    any 10mm single prong belt is what you want..APT make a good one
    If you buy a new one I echo this statement.

13mm is too thick and you actually can tweak your ribs in the hole when squatting and you got the belt tight.. And double prong is a pain the ass to get on and off

I've got a Cardillo belt I bought about 2 yrs. ago and it wasn't stiff at all from the start. You get what you pay for IMO. I would consider either Cardillo or Inzer only.

Harden the Fuck Up RagingBull666's Avatar

Inzer forever lever belt. You will need 10mm if you are a little guy and 13 mm if you are a big boy!! SS, RB
    Try not
    Do or do not
    There is no try
    Yoda

That which does not kill us makes us STRONGER - Friedrich Nietzsche

"So what we'll be calling on is blunt force trauma. Let's start building some hurtin bombs." Rocky

www.azapf.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com/store

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBull666 View Post
    Inzer forever lever belt. You will need 10mm if you are a little guy and 13 mm if you are a big boy!! SS, RB
    Little or small person, 10mm is enough. No need for the extra thickness, doesnt contour to the body well plus breaking it in is a b#$ch.
    "If you train regularly, and dont look good naked, your doing something wrong" IG

Cardillo all the way for me. Great suport for deads and squats, yet pliable and comfortable. Takes em a while to deliver it though. I would buy another but i dont see this one ever wearing out.Great craftmanship.
    *K*

Quote Originally Posted by Polski Byk View Post
    Little or small person, 10mm is enough. No need for the extra thickness, doesnt contour to the body well plus breaking it in is a b#$ch.
    I could not disagree more Polski. I used a 10 mm and it was nothing for me. I switched to a 13 mm and have loved every minute of it. I broke mine in just fine and would NEVER go back to a 10 mm. SS, RB
    Try not
    Do or do not
    There is no try
    Yoda

"So what we'll be calling on is blunt force trauma. Let's start building some hurtin bombs." Rocky

www.azapf.com

You guys recommend using a belt even if your S/D are not 300+

Like 275 for reps on dead's and 215 for reps on squats? i feel a belt could help me a little but don't want to hinder myself by "relying" on a belt. If that makes sense, never used one before but have been looking a lot since I'm lifting way more now than I am doing BJJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    Are you joking about eating all that???? Seriously bro.. its one thing to crave it or think about it or to even have "A" candy bar on a cheat day but GOOD GOD MAN, GET AHOLD OF YOURSELF!!!! Get some self control and discipline!! Jeezzz, not to come down hard on ya but c'mon.. nothing worth while is easy and if it were easy to stay healthy, everyone would be big lean and ripped. Dig deep and decide what you want.

A belt is a tool to use. You push against it for more support. It cannot hurt you.

I cannot say that you should use a belt or not use a belt. The weight you are moving is irrelevant. It's how you feel that you should gauge whether or not a belt will benefit you. SS, RB
    Try not
    Do or do not
    There is no try
    Yoda

www.azapf.com

JoeD

Quote Originally Posted by Sylva View Post
    You guys recommend using a belt even if your S/D are not 300+

Like 275 for reps on dead's and 215 for reps on squats? i feel a belt could help me a little but don't want to hinder myself by "relying" on a belt. If that makes sense, never used one before but have been looking a lot since I'm lifting way more now than I am doing BJJ.
    like rb says doesn't really matter how much weight u pushing a belt is going to help regardless.

I have always thought of a belt as a max effort only tool. Your core will adjust to the load, but when you feel that you are pulling heavy enough that you will be unstable- you can use a belt to supplement or spend more time on core to prevent.

I have one that I don't use. Never got high enough in the weights to need it really. When I start DL 2x BW I might consider it.

Belts dont really support yr back to any real extent unless yr like a cripple or a stock room worker who just wants his job to feel easier.
    What belts do for maximum effort lifts like the squat and deadlift is create a false wall for you to suck air into and flex/force yr abs out and against to create intra-abdominal pressure and strengthen/stabalize yr core for the lift.
    For the bench however, its a bit different. A belt doesnt really need to do much except get cinched low to give ya a big ole gut and reduce range of motion (for a powerlifter anyway).
    I dont really see a need for a belt for bodybuilders just because of the science behind it, it doesnt really lend any use for rep work imo. (just my opinion, im sure others dissagree - thats fine rock on)
    -IliekFude (i duno what happened with my user name....we r workn on it)

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBull666 View Post
    A belt is a tool to use. You push against it for more support. It cannot hurt you.

I cannot say that you should use a belt or not use a belt. The weight you are moving is irrelevant. It's how you feel that you should gauge whether or not a belt will benefit you. SS, RB
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm going to pick of the inzer belt your suggested earlier. Sorry for all the "newb" questions lately.

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    Are you joking about eating all that???? Seriously bro.. its one thing to crave it or think about it or to even have "A" candy bar on a cheat day but GOOD GOD MAN, GET AHOLD OF YOURSELF!!!! Get some self control and discipline!! Jeezzz, not to come down hard on ya but c'mon.. nothing worth while is easy and if it were easy to stay healthy, everyone would be big lean and ripped. Dig deep and decide what you want.

I wouldn't wear a belt for all your squats/pulls because your core can become weaker. Wear it for your last 2-3 heavy sets.