The AF Store | The Maximillian Frei Memorial Library | Post Cycle Therapy

Thread: No Flat bench, only incline?

Default No Flat bench, only incline?

I read a looong time ago that a slight incline bench will develop the chest better than a flat bench. I would assume that this is because the upper pecs and front delts get more involved- but I have never tried. Since my lower pecs are thicker than my uppers it would be great to focus more on the top a bit. Has anybody tried replacing bench with something like a 15 to 20* incline press? I'm doing OHP, squat, Pullup, and Clean work for strength- I just feel like getting big pecs and tri's for some vanity. Thoughts on this for a skinny ass white boy?

NPC overall winner

one week start off with incline next week start off with flat but you should always hit the muscle from every angel every workout

Since my should has acted up a few months ago I have done inclines and no flat bench. Every once in while I do flat dumbbells,(sometimes at low incline angles too) but mostly barbell and dumbbell inclines. I have seen better development in my upper chest and front delts. I haven't seen any negative impact on my lower pecs as I also naturally have bigger lower pecs. My lower pecs get hit in other ways anyway, with weighted dips.

insert chicken here Thread Starter Thread Starter Haltered's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IFBB PRO View Post
    ... you should always hit the muscle from every angel every workout

Is this to get as much of the pec firing during a workout, even if the focus is on a different angle (like 20*)?

Im just doing this for fluff work, I really have no use for much forward pressing strength. If I start doing double duty on bench I feel that I will need to start doubling up my row as well to balance out the extra work. Sound assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by IFBB PRO View Post
    one week start off with incline next week start off with flat but you should always hit the muscle from every angel every workout
    i dont think that is necessary and can even lead to overtraining quite easily.

personally in this example, i switched to a more inclined approach on chest and it worked well.

my thinking was that i have see a lot of guys with big sloppy looking chests but its really that upper development that seperates a really developed chest and i have never seen a guy with a big upper chest without a really fucking big chest overall.

Paid off bigtime. im not saying never do flat but its WAY overemphasized.

The incline chews up my shoulders something wicked

Sticking with it until I can at least get to a respectable poundage but it seems a lot harder on the joints than the regular bench, probably as I've not found a way to tuck (is there one?)

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    The incline chews up my shoulders something wicked
    Sticking with it until I can at least get to a respectable poundage but it seems a lot harder on the joints than the regular bench, probably as I've not found a way to tuck (is there one?)
    ever try neutral hand position DB Incline? They may help master the elbow tucking and save the shoulders
    APT Pro Gear
    'All that we are is a result of what we have thought...'
    - Buddha

It's more that I have no power when I try to tuck with a regualr gym incline (40-45 degrees whatever it is), the bar touches low then wobbles back towards my face on the way up and I lose power.

I touch at the clavicle which obviously stretches the shit out of the joint

Parallel grip DBs I've tried but they hrt my SC joint a bit (prior separations in both shoulders from 'tard benching in the past)

Stay Strong & Have Faith matt1990's Avatar

Something that I think works is do one excercise Dumbell style and the other Barbell and switch em up monthly. Not going to work for everyone, but its something to try.

matt~

I will give it a shot and see what happens. My thinking is this- the guys with a thick upper chest are the ones that look swole. I can let gravity take care of my lower pecs. The shoulder stretch isn't something I have considered, but I will literally be starting with the bar so I shouldn't have an issue.

Just bought a power cage for home, all I need to put together is the bench now. Screw gym memberships, I got all I need at the house now!

Lol! ass pops up nelson montana as a description!

Quote Originally Posted by Haltered View Post
    Lol! ass pops up nelson montana as a description!
    lol.

On a related note to the thread, I have a couple of buddies who have switched to incline as their main chest workout and rarely ever hit flat bench anymore. They both have reported a huge increase in strength and chest development.

As for me, I always do flat bench, then follow it up with dumbell incline. Incline seems to hurt my shoulders too much and cause too much overall discomfort so I don't hit it very much. I prefer to use dumbells for better range of motion which seems to be easier on my shoulders.

NPC overall winner

I use to do manly flat, just because i like throwing up big weight when i started training with my new partner he always did incline first ,my incline was only 265 for 10 after a month doing incline first i get 315 for 10 now, and my flat bench went to 405 for 10, as far as over training i dont believe in it i believe in under eating as a culprit to not getting good recovery, if you knew how many hours i put in the gym daily you would say over training
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I only do inclines and its worked out great. It makes your chest much more even looking from top to bottom. A lot of people who mostly do flat and even worse, declines, have chests that are only developed at the bottom like they have little tits which looks horrible. Doing incline everything works your entire chest evenly I think. Just switch up the angle of the inclines all the time.

Former MOTM

i do incline every chest workout and only do flat maybe every other time or every third time.....im at the poin now where my incline bench rivals my flat....i can incline 315 usually around 3-5 reps. flat, i can do 315 4-6 times.
    Self admitted Yohimburn ES addict
    HIGH DOSE VAR = TREN minus the side effects

i poop on clen, EQ and nolvadex.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10492633

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19597031

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18348701

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9364247

Former MOTM

once upon a time flat was my fav exercise, but those days are long gone. Doing more incline has also made my military press go up quite a bit. I can usually go up to about 3 plates per side on the smithmachine for a rep or 2.
    Self admitted Yohimburn ES addict
    HIGH DOSE VAR = TREN minus the side effects

i poop on clen, EQ and nolvadex.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10492633

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19597031

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18348701

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9364247

solidspine

I use the incline 10 times to 1 for presses,
    use the flat bench for dumbbells and also use the decline bench.

Alternating inclines and declines has added a little fun back into my training but I don't think it's grown me boobies or given me upper pecs like arnie.. my pecs always look their most spiffy when I do flat bench, however those days are over ;(

YouTube - 405x8 Incline

something to aim for