The AF Store | The Maximillian Frei Memorial Library | Post Cycle Therapy

Thread: Pain in area where shoulder and triceps tie in

Gold Member

Default Pain in area where shoulder and triceps tie in

This is probably one of the strangest injuries I've gotten with respect to how I got it. Saturday night as I was going to bed I put my left arm underneath my pillow then lay my head down on the pillow. Well after that I had a sharp pain start from my were the shoulder and tricep tie and this pain reached all the way to my fore-arm and then to the back of my shoulder. So I was thinking I'd give it a few days it should start getting better, hasn't reall gotten any better, now when I lift my arm theres a pain in the previously mentioned area, also the pain is worse if I try to lift something even as small as a cup. If this problem doesnt start improveing by Thursday or Friday I'm going to make an apointment with my Ortho.

Just wondering if anyones had any experience in dealing with something like this???

Does the pain radiate down from your lateral delt area?

Any pain on front delt raise, lateral, or rear raise?

How about if you hold your arm about 40 degrees from your body (kind of in-between a lateral raise and front raise), thumb down, and have someone try to push your arm down?

Put your elbow of the injured arm anchored into your hip/side, elbow at 90 degrees and have someone reist rotation in front of palm and back of palm (only rotate ,pivot, do not move at shoulder or elbow). Pain?

Lie on the edge of a bed with your hurt arm hanging off. Let the arm hang back, unsupported, like you were cocking your arm to throw a pitch. Pain?

Reach across your body with your injured arm. Grab your opposing shoulder. With hand on shoulder, have someone apply pressure going up to the underside of your elbow. Pain?

Any pain on stretches? Can you palpate (poke around) and feel pain?

Gold Member Thread Starter Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Killer:
    Does the pain radiate down from your lateral delt area?Yes and some from rear delt, kind of hard to say exactly

Any pain on front delt raise, lateral, or rear raise?Only pain on lateral raise

How about if you hold your arm about 40 degrees from your body (kind of in-between a lateral raise and front raise), thumb down, and have someone try to push your arm down?
    I'll have to try this later, no one else here right now

Put your elbow of the injured arm anchored into your hip/side, elbow at 90 degrees and have someone reist rotation in front of palm and back of palm (only rotate ,pivot, do not move at shoulder or elbow). Pain?I'll have to try this later, no one else here right now

Lie on the edge of a bed with your hurt arm hanging off. Let the arm hang back, unsupported, like you were cocking your arm to throw a pitch. Pain?Yes

Reach across your body with your injured arm. Grab your opposing shoulder. With hand on shoulder, have someone apply pressure going up to the underside of your elbow. Pain?I'll have to try this later, no one else here right now

Any pain on stretches? Can you palpate (poke around) and feel pain?]No pain when I poke around unless I pushe real hard, and there is some when I try stretching<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The pain does seem to have gotten better. It hurts the worse when I try picking something up, and it hurts really bad if I try lifting something, even if its real small, above parallel with my traps, and the pain will extend into my forearm, if that makes sense???

If I keep my arm in real close to my body and pick something up it doesn't hurt unless the object is heavier than roughly 4 or 5lbs.

I'll try those other test's when my next door neighbor get's home from work, not sure what time she'll be back.

I appreciate your help.

From what you indicated it sounds like the pain is "referred pain" from your rotator cuff, most likely that of your supraspinatus and ext cuff. It often travels down from the shoulder into the elbow.

Check out the other tests and get back to us.

I have known this to happen to people before while sleeping with arm under pillow or during squats. That shoulder raised (abduction) and arm "cocked" (ext rotation) can sometimes cause the supra and/or ext cuff to flare up.

Shit!!...still havent tried the other tests out.

I can say that the range of painfree movement I have has increased considerable, so it is getting better.

I'm still going to make an appointment later today or tommorow to se my orthopedic I need him to look at my knee anyway.

As I mentioned, sometimes sleeping like irritates the supra/ext cuff. It usually get better day by day, then all is good. But it def sucks waking up and not being able to move your arm/shoulder without pain.

This goes with my theory of why some chicks dig those really skinny guys. They can have unlimited cuddling with the skinny guys. We have a hard enough time laying down by ourselves without all sorts of bodyparts going numb, let alone with a girl snuggled on/next to us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Killer:
    As I mentioned, sometimes sleeping like irritates the supra/ext cuff. It usually get better day by day, then all is good. But it def sucks waking up and not being able to move your arm/shoulder without pain.

This goes with my theory of why some chicks dig those really skinny guys. They can have unlimited cuddling with the skinny guys. We have a hard enough time laying down by ourselves without all sorts of bodyparts going numb, let alone with a girl snuggled on/next to us.LOL<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have just about all my range of movement back. Looks like I'm gonna lay off any weight's for 4 or 5 more days then start doing some light work to get back to lifting any suggestions on shoulder/rotator cuff exercises I should do to help stop this problem from flareing up again???

I got to say I appreciate all your help with my problems, you do a great job helping everyone out. Thanks Killer

We , weight trainers, all usually need to target the ext cuff (infraspinatus,teres minor) due to the fact that they really get no work, unlike the int cuff (subscapularis) and the supraspinatus.

I like to do ext cuff ex 2 times a week, alternating exercises, or I should say plane of movement.

Day 1.)Ext rotation while somewhat abducted (shoulder up). I use a preacher curl. Set the top of the preacher curl a little below shoulder height. Bend elbow at 90 degress, dig elbow into top of bench, chest out and squeeze shoulder blades together. Lower weight to parrell with floor, then rotate back up. I usually hit 3 x various reps.

Day 2.) Ext rotation with arm at side. I use a adjustable cable crossover, but you can also use rubber bands (theraband) or even a seated low pulley row (if the stack is light enough). Pin elbow to side, arm at 90 degress. Rotate away from the weight stack. Make sure to put a towel between your elbow and your side as you want a little elevation (if not, the supraspinatus gets blood supply cut off, called wringing out the supraspinatus, which obviously is bad). I usually do 3 x various reps.

Sometime I will also perform what I believe are called Cuban Presses? (or simply standing ext rotation) in addition to one of the proceeding exercises. I like to use DB, but you can use a barbell. Simply stand with arm at shoulder height, bent at 90 degress, such as in a military press. Keep elbows high and rotate parrell to floor, then back up. Keep chest high and shoulders back. 3 x various reps.

www.testostreone.net actually has several rotator articles with pictures. Also check out www.fit-pro.com/rotatorcuff

Hit up a couple of the topics on this forumn too. You will probally find some info you can use.

Good luck!