The AF Store | The Maximillian Frei Memorial Library | Post Cycle Therapy

Thread: Benadryl for appetite

Gold Member

Default Benadryl for appetite

I've been doing some research on Periactin for the purpose of increasing my appetite. Upon doing some searches, I have found that both Periactin and Benadryl are anti-histamines and both upregulate beta receptors.

I'm not looking to upregulate beta receptors but I wonder if, because they appear to be similar drugs, they have similar side effects. Hence, you could use Benadryl in place of Periactin to stimulate the appetite.

It's a very, very basic theory I know, but are there any teeth to it?

Makes me LOSE my appetite but I don't know the science of it.

Gold Member

The two are antihistimines, yes, but it's two different chemicals at work here. Periactin (Cyproheptadine HCl) is antihistiminic and antiserotonergic (did I spell that right??) Seratonin and its effects on appetite being key here. Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCl) is also an antihistimine, but has sedative properties that can result in a loss of appetite. So using Benadryl to increase appetite...nah, won't work.

Gold Member Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks team. That's the info I've been looking for.

Does anyone know why or how periactin can increase appetite?

Gold Member

Periactin is antiserotonergic, meaning it binds to serotonin receptors, without activating them and blocks the actions of serotonin.

Too little serotonin results in an increase in appetite (carb cravings) and is linked to depression. Carb loads trigger serotonin release, so the cravings you get for sweets and carbs when you're depressed or stressed may be your body's way of getting more serotonin. Increased serotonin elevates mood, subsides carb cravings and will help you to rest better.

By binding to those receptors, Periactin makes your body think it has too little serotonin, which will increase your appetite.

PQ must know here science terminology better than i do, but i was going to say the same thing. Benadryl will cause most people to lose their appetite. It makes you tired and lethargic.

"Everybody wants to be a body builder but don't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weight"
    -Ronnie Coleman
    "Everybody wants to be a body builder but don't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weight"
    -Ronnie Coleman

OK. Does that mean that if one were to take Periactin, they would become depressed? I mean, if you're blocking serotonin your mood would go down since you're basically doing the opposite of Prozac.

Gold Member

I don't think I'd say full blown depressed, at least not clinically, but definitely lethargic or sluggish with less "get up and go" like Hulk said.

How could one curb the lethargy? Would using a stimulant be counterproductive and/or dangerous?

Gold Member

The degree lethargy depends on who's taking it. One person may get sleepy and want to totally crash, another may be slightly drowsy but otherwise unaffected. As with any medication, the severity of sides depends on dosage and who you're giving it to. As a rule I'd say not to mix a stimulant with anything sedative, it doesn't really make sense.

You just want to eat more right? Why not do it without the meds?
    You already know increasing the number of SMALL meals you eat in a day will boost your metabolism. If you train your body to expect food often throughout the day, it will burn it off that much faster. It will require more cals to keep itself running at an accelerated rate. You'll get hungry sooner between meals, and can start eating more smaller meals in response. After several weeks of this, your appetite, metabolism and caloric intake will be up, your body will start burning off fat and the increase cals will allow you to keep/build lean muscle as long as your protein intake is sufficient.

Why not trick your body into craving more food with diet and planning instead of trying to do it with a med like Periactin? Spend money on food instead of pills and avoid drug-induced drowsiness and lethargy altogether.