The AF Store | The Maximillian Frei Memorial Library | Post Cycle Therapy

Thread: Syringe Measurement...

Gold Member

Default Syringe Measurement...

OK, this'll sound like a dumb question to some and others may have wondered the same thing:

My syringe stoppers are cone shaped. So, when I'm drawing to fill the syringe, do I measure where the liquid meets the stopper or do I measure from the peak of the cone?

Seems obvious that you would measure from where the liquid meets the stopper right? Well, the cone is taking up some of that measured space. In this particular case, I'm measuring 1/4 cc's at a time so that would make a huge difference on volume... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Anybody know for sure?

B

---------------------

GETTIN' HARD!!
    ---------------------

"Um... I checked around. The girls are calling you "fatty-fat fat fat", and Nelson's planning to pull down your pants, but ... nobody's trying to kill ya." "

-- Milhouse

It is as you put it "where the liquid meets the stopper".

Liquids in general (except mercury and possibly a few more) form what we call a Meniscus. This looks like an inverted cone (shaped oposite of the cone on the plunger) which is caused by surface tension from the liquid towards the container it lies in.

The cone on the plunger counter acts this effect making a more acurate reading by looking at the liquids volume from a level prospective opposed to trying to locate the bottom of this meniscus to read the true volume.

...I think thats why

Gold Member

Yes, but it also includes the area taken up by the syringe where it meets the needle. Look at the bottom of the syringe compartment where the oil is held and where it almost meets the needle. It is an inverse of a cone shape so that it helps push all of the liquid of of the syringe compared to the bottom of a flat syringe/plunger combo. I'm sure it's a combination of this and the meniscus that makes it work the best. At least it's way in B-D syringes. Take care.

LuckyDog

Education is a continuous process ending only when ambition comes to a halt.
    -Col. R. I. Rees
    "Only average athletes, those that are far from excellent prepare with average methods. A Champion is not average, but exceptional." ~Vladimir Zatsiorsky

Thanks guys i've wonder that exact issue many times over the years.

Doggy

You should measure from the line at the top. Draw just short of what you want and then pull in a little air. The liquid should be between the lines. You'll get the hang of it after a while.

Gold Member Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks!

I'm used to single amps, so now everything is in multi-ml bottles. The difficulty is that I'm adding "space" to apply pressure to draw (oops, I should have been more correct and said vacuum instead of pressure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]).

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Do you draw with the bottle sitting on the counter or do you hold the bottle upside down and draw?

I've been holding the bottle upside down to draw, so I end up having to mark zero at a point in the middle of the scale (if you know what I mean). It's working out but today I drew a water-base and it was so fast that I almost over-drew. Considering it was in the same syringe as some oil-based stuff... well, you see the problem with overdrawing in that case.

And, as I said, I'm dealing with tiny measurements of 1/4cc...

Thanks for all your help folks!

B

---------------------

GETTIN' HARD!!

[This message was edited by Mister B. on 12-04-2002 at 03:30 PM.]
    ---------------------

"Um... I checked around. The girls are calling you "fatty-fat fat fat", and Nelson's planning to pull down your pants, but ... nobody's trying to kill ya." "

-- Milhouse

You're doing it right. If you want to measure that stuff at Carnegie Hall you have to...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyDog:
    Yes, but it also includes the area taken up by the syringe where it meets the needle. Look at the bottom of the syringe compartment where the oil is held and where it almost meets the needle. It is an inverse of a cone shape so that it helps push all of the liquid of of the syringe compared to the bottom of a flat syringe/plunger combo. I'm sure it's a combination of this and the meniscus that makes it work the best. At least it's way in B-D syringes. Take care.

LuckyDog

Education is a continuous process ending only when ambition comes to a halt.
    -Col. R. I. Rees<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didnt think of that one