PDA

View Full Version : My collarbone hurts when benching

thedreamthief
07-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Why does it hurt?

My bench setup :
Grip, somewhat narrow- pinkie on "ring" of the bar. Elbows tucked as much as possible. I have to do this because my right shoulder hurts (I think combination of inflamed rotator cuff and bicep tendinitis) if I go wider.

I also noticed that area is somewhat more "strained" when deadlifting ...I use a mixed grip .. and that palm is facing out .. could that be aggravating it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

saiyanjin
07-12-2008, 05:16 PM
ill just throw this out there, sounds like you're placing alot of stress on your front deltoids. id say throw away the bench press and choose an alternative exercise.

Sue Me
07-13-2008, 11:50 AM
This happens to me, infrequent, but yet still happens. I broke my collarbone about 8yrs ago, and every once and awhile, when that wait is unracked and over head, I feel a pain that is almost "pressure" feel.

I have a narrow grip - pointer finger on the inside ring. I also frequently switch my sets and reps, because when I start climbing on a 5x5 eventually I will start to notice it. At that moment I will switch to a 4x8 or 3x10, which a drop in weight follows.

Velenka
07-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm totally guessing and I'm not a medical professional --- just getting that disclaimer out of the way, but I used to be a massage therapist that worked with athletes --- and I don't know you or your posture at all, BUT:

The upper attachments for the pec muscles attach along the sternum, ribs, and the clavicle (collar bone). Also, there is a muscle who's name I'm forgetting, that attaches between the clavicle and the first rib. My first thought when reading your post regarding discomfort/pain during bench press, was that your pec muscles might be quite tight and causing a pinching or pulling of the musculature in the chest as you go through heavy movements, so it's translating into discomfort around your clavicle. Can you describe the pain? Pinching, pulling, aching, or zinging?

Again, without seeing or palpating the area, it'll be hard to figure it out, but also ---- at what part of the movement does the pain kick in? Right when you unrack the bar? As the bar is decending? At the bottom of the lift? As you are pressing back up again? Or just when you are re-racking the bar?

IliekFude
07-13-2008, 06:33 PM
happens to me too on bench and deads.
i usually feel it after benching and during or immediately after a max effort deadlift.
as mentioned you may be benching pretty wide and/or letting the bar drift over yr face near the lockout (fine if thats yr style) which emphasizes the front delts and they are in the vicinity of yr collarbone.
its likely pain from a tendon connect point near yr collarbone. tendonitis or stress. or then again it could be a stress fracture.
if it becomes a real problem, see a doc.
if yr a bodybuilder, try db benching for a while or if you wana keep bb benching try bringing in yr grip (not close grip - close - but maybe pinky on rings) and benching with a straight up bar path emphasizing the triceps. see if that helps for now.

TheSuaveOne
07-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Do you wrap your wrists? I used to have this problem but now that I wrap my wrist on lifts that strain the wrist, the pain has gone away.

*getting old sucks btw.

thedreamthief
07-14-2008, 12:42 AM
I'm totally guessing and I'm not a medical professional --- just getting that disclaimer out of the way, but I used to be a massage therapist that worked with athletes --- and I don't know you or your posture at all, BUT:

The upper attachments for the pec muscles attach along the sternum, ribs, and the clavicle (collar bone). Also, there is a muscle who's name I'm forgetting, that attaches between the clavicle and the first rib. My first thought when reading your post regarding discomfort/pain during bench press, was that your pec muscles might be quite tight and causing a pinching or pulling of the musculature in the chest as you go through heavy movements, so it's translating into discomfort around your clavicle. Can you describe the pain? Pinching, pulling, aching, or zinging?

Again, without seeing or palpating the area, it'll be hard to figure it out, but also ---- at what part of the movement does the pain kick in? Right when you unrack the bar? As the bar is decending? At the bottom of the lift? As you are pressing back up again? Or just when you are re-racking the bar?

Pain feels like there is a lot of stress on the collarbone. like something is pressing down on it..almost like it could break at some point. It tends to hurt when about 1/3 of the way up....but definitely on the upward movement.

I have been extremely slack on the foam rollering .. will that help?

happens to me too on bench and deads.
i usually feel it after benching and during or immediately after a max effort deadlift.
as mentioned you may be benching pretty wide and/or letting the bar drift over yr face near the lockout (fine if thats yr style) which emphasizes the front delts and they are in the vicinity of yr collarbone.
its likely pain from a tendon connect point near yr collarbone. tendonitis or stress. or then again it could be a stress fracture.
if it becomes a real problem, see a doc.
if yr a bodybuilder, try db benching for a while or if you wana keep bb benching try bringing in yr grip (not close grip - close - but maybe pinky on rings) and benching with a straight up bar path emphasizing the triceps. see if that helps for now.

Yes, I feel it on bench and deads. I am not benching wide...pinkies on the ring .. which for me is just about shoulder width. The bar starts off a tiny bit below the nipples. I try to keep the elbows tucked in more, but maybe I need to concentrate on using the triceps more as well.

Do you wrap your wrists? I used to have this problem but now that I wrap my wrist on lifts that strain the wrist, the pain has gone away.

*getting old sucks btw.

Getting old does suck :) LOL. I have not thought or considered wrist wraps. I will definitely look into getting some.

thedreamthief
07-14-2008, 12:45 AM
This happens to me, infrequent, but yet still happens. I broke my collarbone about 8yrs ago, and every once and awhile, when that wait is unracked and over head, I feel a pain that is almost "pressure" feel.

I have a narrow grip - pointer finger on the inside ring. I also frequently switch my sets and reps, because when I start climbing on a 5x5 eventually I will start to notice it. At that moment I will switch to a 4x8 or 3x10, which a drop in weight follows.

So is your only solution to switch up reps and lower weight? Have you found anything else that helps? It sounds like we have the exact same issue. What you are describing is exactly what I feel .. plus I am doing a 5x5 as well and the weights are starting to get heavy for me again.

Killer
07-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Is it your collar bone or you A/C joint?

You can seperate your A/C joint lifting. I have seen it happen to a couple people.

thedreamthief
07-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Is it your collar bone or you A/C joint?

You can seperate your A/C joint lifting. I have seen it happen to a couple people.

collarbone .. when I feel the pain, it is closer in .. closer to my neck.

Sue Me
07-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah, switching it up is the only thing that I have found helps...I start getting heaving, maybe hit a PR or close, then switch to higher reps, lower weights, and start working back up.

It could be total bs, but I feel like on a 5x5, my chest muscles develop the strength to support the weight, but my actual collarbone can't support it. So why say, going to a 4x8, I build up a tolerance to higher reps at a little less than that 5x5. I switch back to a 5x5 and it doesn't hurt anymore until I progress to a new point.

This may or may not help - but for me, it seems to work.

xrsist
08-02-2008, 12:19 PM
this happens to me, iv found alot of stretching and warming up can help but bump for any one else with info

rsync
08-04-2008, 11:19 AM
I have the same issue but only when benching with the bar. Dumb bells don't cause the pain.

G-REX
08-10-2008, 09:47 AM

Again, without seeing or palpating the area, it'll be hard to figure it out, but also ---- at what part of the movement does the pain kick in? Right when you unrack the bar? As the bar is decending? At the bottom of the lift? As you are pressing back up again? Or just when you are re-racking the bar?I get this same thing when I use the safety squat bar, at first I thought the same thing, my collarbone. Went to the massage therapist, and Velenka up top was right. There are several muscles that come through there that get knotted up. The scalenes and the sternocliedomastoid attach at the collarbone and can cause lots of discomfort. First time I jacked mine up, I was sure I had broken my colalrbone it hurt so bad. It's going to hurt when you pull and bench becasue the muscle is knotted up and those movements are putting a large stretch on the muscle. I'd recommend getting to a massage therapist, if they're any good you'll feel a massive improvement after just one session, a couple of trips and it'll be gone. It hurts like a mutha when he/she goes through there to loosen it up, but you'll feel a hell of a lot better in the a.m. Best of luck!