PDA

View Full Version : My BP was 171/90 (this must be a fluke)

archive_Flash
10-07-2002, 03:18 PM
Somebody please tell me not to trust the BP machines at grocery stores. I sat down sunday morning at one of those BP machines, just to get a ref for how my BP was doing. I had mexican food for breakfast about fifteen min before my BP was taken. I hadnt had any caff or eph, not even coffee. the machine spits back 171/90 with a pulse of 65. This cant be right? wouldnt I be red, or easily adjatated? Are those machines accurate?

Pump up the valium!

Fonz
10-07-2002, 03:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flash:
Somebody please tell me not to trust the BP machines at grocery stores. I sat down sunday morning at one of those BP machines, just to get a ref for how my BP was doing. I had mexican food for breakfast about fifteen min before my BP was taken. I hadnt had any caff or eph, not even coffee. the machine spits back 171/90 with a pulse of 65. This cant be right? wouldnt I be red, or easily adjatated? Are those machines accurate?

Pump up the valium!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow....171/90

Your hematocrit must be through the roof.

Mine never goes above 120/70

Fonz

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

--- Fonz 6/2002

archive_Flash
10-07-2002, 03:36 PM
you think its my hemo, or vasoconstriction or heart enlargement?

I just finished my Dbol bridge, I aint on nothin

Pump up the valium!

archive_LuckyDog
10-07-2002, 04:25 PM
Don't worry, you're most likely fine. But let me ask you one question...is your bicep over 13-14 inches big?? I certainly hope so, but anyways, those cuffs are made for the arms of mere "mortals" and so your results are skewed. You'd have to check it with an obese cuff to get a more accurate result. It's a common thing that happens to the majority here. Take care.

LuckyDog

Education is a continuous process ending only when ambition comes to a halt.
-Col. R. I. Rees

archive_Flash
10-07-2002, 05:17 PM
Thanks lucky, I've been a bit worried. I'll get it measured with a fatty.

Pump up the valium!

archive_Caligula
10-09-2002, 01:27 PM
If you have the slightest bit of muscle in your arm then those things don't work. It always shows mine at being like 240/110.

http://www.anabolicfitness.net/images/caligula.jpg

"That Which Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger"

Curious

archive_45goingon20
10-09-2002, 02:22 PM
Took mine the other day at one of those gorcery store machines,. It was145/68, 63 pulse rate. A little high on the systolic. You really need to check it about ten times over a period of 2 weeks, then average it out.

But yes, the machines are not that accurate.

Anabolicum Mr.
10-13-2002, 07:05 PM
Remember that blood pressure is a transient physical property. It can and will vary, and will do so rapidly. I had a nurse take my BP on a Wednesday and it was 190/120. I had the doctor take it 2 days later and it was 135/90. You have to take a number of readings over a period of time to get an accurate picture of where your blood pressure is at. And those machines at the pharmacy do work but may be somewhat inaccurate if you have a large arm. However, I do not doubt that your blood pressure is higher than normal due to your recent cycle.